Ceder Square Dance System BB Forum Index Ceder Square Dance System BB
Helping each other work with CSDS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Backup?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ceder Square Dance System BB Forum Index -> General CSDS Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Backup? Reply with quote

This is relevant both to those of us who just use the music player at dances, and to those who use the "dance" features to read pre-written choreography.

How do you protect yourself in case your computer/hard drive breaks/crashes/won't restart?

I carry an iPod for music, and also have a few MP3s on my Palm T3, so I'll at least have music to call to. So far, I haven't had to worry much about choreography, but if I were going to call at an A&C weekend, this would be a concern.

I have made a CD with my SQDATA folder. But if I borrowed a laptop, wouldn't that involve installing CSDS on the laptop? And doesn't CSDS add things to the registry (remember, I'm a Mac user, so if I sound vague on this, it's because I am), which would make it hard to uninstall CSDS?

Would it be possible to have a portable hard drive, with a complete Windows OS installation and installed version of CSDS? How hard is it to boot a PC from an external hard drive?

What do y'all do?

Kris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
NShukayr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Emergency CD Reply with quote

I have an "Emergency CD" containing 17 songs (some patter, some singers). I bought a small cheap portable CD player from WalMart for less than $20. If the computer goes belly-up during a dance, I can use the CD and CD player as an Emergency Broadcast System. So far, I have never had to test this theory! I back up my computer regularly, onto an external USB drive.

Nasser "be prepared" Shukayr
andy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: backups Reply with quote

I backup the SQDATA folder regularly and try to keep my laptop and desktop systems in sync wrt CSDS (which is not all that easy).

When I travel, I bring backup CD-ROMs with
* the SQDATA folder
* the csds install downloads for the current version
* my user key in a text file
* MP3 music files (over 600 of them)
* a text dump (export) of the CSDS music database
sometimes I also bring a single DVD+R with the same data

I figure I can beg/borrow/buy a laptop to reinstall from this data.

I ALSO travel with a few music CDs that have singers and long looped patter on them. I've never had to use them due to laptop failure.

At festivals like the National, the laptop sometimes seems like a liability both in terms of weight and setup time. Lugging it from hall to hall for 9 minute tips with geton/getoff time at a premium is tough. However, I also call C1 at the Nationals, and do call cards from the screen in that hall. That said, I'm not sure that I'd go back to records or even minidiscs, perhaps an MP3 or CD player is the way to go for that kind of venue.

/Andy Shore
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ceder Square Dance System BB Forum Index -> General CSDS Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: