Ceder Square Dance System BB Forum Index Ceder Square Dance System BB
Helping each other work with CSDS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying my first sound system...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ceder Square Dance System BB Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnDilley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Buying my first sound system... Reply with quote

I feel so conflicted...

I'm just getting started again, so it probly will not be a real issue for me for a bit, but have started doing some thinking about it. And technically it's not my first, but I sold my Newcomb about 25 years ago....

I plan on only using my laptop or MP3 players for my music, so I would assume a turntable is not required. However, all the dances I have attended here in Seattle area still seem to be turntable oriented, and shared between the cuer and caller. Is lack of a turntable going to be an issue?

When looking at sound systems, the obvious answer is the Hilton system. One thought I have though is I'd also like to start doing some more general DJ work as well. A single system that could handle both would be ideal. I've looked at some of the portable DJ systems (Peavy, Samson and JBL) as well as powered speaker systems. Most I have looked at don't seem to have support for remote volume control of the music channel. How important is this?

Are there other callers that are using their sound systems for multiple purposes? Or would I be better off going to separate systems.

I'd love to hear others experiences in this area.
Grant_Ito

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello John,

I have a somewhat flaky Hilton M-100 which gets sent back to California more often than I really like. Sending it across the Canada/US border is a hassle. For this reason I did invest a few dollars in a small amp and mixer board. Although they work well, they are not as compact as the Hilton (2 boxes as opposed to 1, and the many cables to connect them together), so I end up using my Hilton anyway. If I had some way of making my amp and mixer easier to tote, I would be much happier using them.

Of course, I have to use my Hilton if I expect guest callers to call, unless they are using some sort of digital signal rather than vinyl. Still, even if using an MP3 player or laptop, I feel it's a little unfair for the guest callers as they would likely be completely unfamiliar with the controls on the mixer board, and their Hilton microphone cable would not work properly with the system.

Hilton offers the MA-150, which would have been my choice over the non-specialized equipment, had I not had so many problems with my M-100.

Grant.
janwigh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Sound system question and CSDS Reply with quote

Hello John,

Good to see you coming back to the calling activity.

What sound system to buy is definitely a difficult decision to make, and I understand your need for advice about it. But I thought this new bulletin board was meant as a forum for discussing Vic Ceder's CSDS program, and to be quite honest, I don't think your post has very much to do with CSDS.

I think the sd-callers mailing list would be a better forum for your question. Maybe you're already a member, but if not, you can find more information on the following address:

http://dmshome.org/mailman/listinfo/sd-callers_dmshome.org

Good luck.

Jan Wigh Nielsen
Hjoerring, Denmark
JohnDilley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since I was using CSDS with my laptop, and want a sound system to use with my CSDS, I sorta kinda assumed that a general CSDS forum would be for more general questions and to be quite honest, I didn't realize that other users of the BBS were gonna be so uptight as to start scolding posters that ask less than perfectly relevant questions.

I'll just shut up now.
kris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Moved Reply with quote

Don't shut up.

This is why I put in a General Discussion area; I figured that people would want to discuss things not directly related to CSDS with other CSDS users.

So I've moved this particular topic (sound systems) to the General Discussion area.

Please feel free to let me know if there are other forum topic areas that would be useful.

Kris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ceder Square Dance System BB Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: