Calling Ideas for March 4, 2012
Microphone InventedAccording to Those were the Days, Emile Berliner invented the telephone on March 4, 1877. I find it hard to believe that something like that was invented on a single day...but maybe so. At any rate, clearly square dancing evolved the way it has because of amplified music and the microphone; in the past, each square might have had its own caller in the square.
I don't know about any particular songs, but certainly our whole activity is dependent on the microphone.
The Second week of March is:
National Procrastination WeekWhy do anything today that you can put off until tomorrow?
So if you're not prepared for the dance this week, you have a perfect excuse...
If you're willing to do ethnic stereotyping, you could do "Manana"
Optimism MonthEncourage and inspire each other to be optimistic about the future of square dancing.
Here are some songs that come to mind:
- Zip-a-dee-do-dah (Chaparral 414)
- Joy to the World (Chaparral 515)
- Put on a Happy Face (DJ 24)
- Something Tells Me I'm Into Something Good (Solid Gold 503)
- Smile Medley (ESP 133)
- New Attitude (Rhythm 198)
- Hold On Partner (ESP 173)
- I Feel Lucky (Red Boot 3033)
- Pack Up Your Troubles (ESP 906)
- Blue Skies (Silver Sounds177)