Calling Ideas for March 10, 2012
First clear telephone message sentAlexander Graham Bell sent the first clear telephone message -- into a nearby room -- to his assistant, Mr. Watson. “Mr. Watson, come here, I want you,” were the first words spoken into the invention that Bell had created.
Another (see here) excuse to break out the telephone songs:
- Operator, Operator
- Why Haven't I Heard from You
- Lonesome 77203
- The Devil's in the Phone Booth
- That's My Story (mentions a cell phone)
"Why Haven't I Heard from You" would be particularly good; the first line is "Back in 1876 an old boy named Bell invented a contraption that we know so well".
Chart Topping SongsSongs at the top of the charts on March 10:
- 1957 Round and Round - Perry Como
- 1965 My Girl - The Temptations
- 1965 Eight Days a Week - The Beatles
- 1975 Dueling Banjos - Eric Weissberg & Steve Mandell
- 1981 I Love a Rainy Night - Eddie Rabbitt
Middle Name Pride DayHere are two big reasons to be proud of your middle name:
First, there are plenty of John Smiths and and Mary Jones. It's the middle name your parents gave you that makes your name unique.
Second, your parents chose your middle name with great care. It often was selected to honor a friend or relative. That person may have possessed certain characteristics that they want you to inherit.
You could ask people for middle names that might be used in songs; there are lots of songs that use names...one of them must be someone's middle name!
Festival Of Life In The Cracks DayNobody seems to know what this means or how it started, but it's listed on lots of sites.
Maybe your dancers could come up with a theory or an idea for this "holiday".
I've called a very nice contra dance called "The Emptied Crack" by Al Olson.
The Second week of March is:
National Procrastination WeekWhy do anything today that you can put off until tomorrow?
So if you're not prepared for the dance this week, you have a perfect excuse...
If you're willing to do ethnic stereotyping, you could do "Manana"
Optimism MonthEncourage and inspire each other to be optimistic about the future of square dancing.
Here are some songs that come to mind:
- Zip-a-dee-do-dah (Chaparral 414)
- Joy to the World (Chaparral 515)
- Put on a Happy Face (DJ 24)
- Something Tells Me I'm Into Something Good (Solid Gold 503)
- Smile Medley (ESP 133)
- New Attitude (Rhythm 198)
- Hold On Partner (ESP 173)
- I Feel Lucky (Red Boot 3033)
- Pack Up Your Troubles (ESP 906)
- Blue Skies (Silver Sounds177)